- Jane Bruno’s letter to the Treasury Department about Form 8938
- URGENT: Tell the IRS what you think of their new financial report form!
- Living Abroad: What Do You Know?
- Higher Passport and Consular Fees
- How New US Banking Laws Threaten Overseas Americans
- Banks blasted for fee smokescreens
- States Move to Allow Overseas and Military Voters to Cast Ballots by Internet
- More American Expatriates Give Up Citizenship
- U.S. Expat Taxes Drive Americans to Give Up Citizenship
- What the Health Care Overhaul Means for Americans Abroad
- Internet Voting, Still in Beta
- Medicare Savings: Is the Answer in Mexico?
AARO - Association of Americans Resident Overseas
There’s no time like the present to REGISTER TO VOTE!
Once again this year, thanks to Overseas Vote Foundation, military and overseas voters can register to vote and request their ballots using the latest secure and user-friendly technology and benefiting from access to OVF’s continuously updated state-specific voter information. OVF has, since 2007, hosted the only non-partisan, non-governmental voter registration website and in 2014, it’s better than ever.
Voters in the equivalent of the 26th state (6.32 million overseas Americans, according to the State Department) can go straight to www.overseasvotefoundation.org to:
- register to vote and request an absentee ballot
- request an emergency Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot if their own ballot arrives late
- get state-specific information about eligibility and deadlines
- find full contact details for their own election official
ACA proposal to resolve non-compliance issues for overseas Americans
AARO’s partner organization ACA (American Citizens Abroad) has written to the Treasury Department and the IRS with a simple, clear and eminently sensible proposal to help these Americans who, far from being tax evaders, are, in the main, eager to correct their situation. We applaud their initiative and support their proposal, the full text of which can be found here.
6.32 Million Americans Abroad Map
More than 6.32 million Americans (excluding military) live in 160-plus countries.
- AARO is a volunteer, non-partisan service organization representing the interests of more than 6.32 million U.S. citizens living and working abroad. Its mission is to ensure that Americans resident overseas are guaranteed the same rights and privileges as their counterparts in the U.S.
- AARO updates its members on vital issues such as taxation, citizenship, voting rights and Social Security through its quarterly newsletter, bimonthly e-mail bulletins, periodic seminars and other events. It also conducts ongoing advocacy efforts in Washington.
- AARO offers a reasonably priced health insurance plan to members who are U.S. citizens living overseas.
- Learn more about AARO, listen to a World Radio Paris interview.
AARO Member Login
Dues Payments - Please Login
FATCA in the News
- Four Ways to Get FATCAed
- FATCA Losing Its Way
- Overseas Americans: Time to Say 'Bye' to Uncle Sam?
- From 'The Hill': FATCA, a Simple Premise Gone Terribly Wrong', co-authored by AARO Board Member Victoria Ferrauge
- How to Lose Friends, Citizens and Influence (July 18)
- Letter from Congressman Bill Posey to Treasury Secretary Lew, questioning the feasibility of FATCA implementation
- Reed-Schumer Amendment on "Ex-Citizen Tax Dodgers"