Passport information for U.S. citizens

Renewing your US passport

You can request or renew a US passport at any time either at a US passport facility in the US (usually your local post office) or at a US consulate abroad. If you haven't had a US passport previously, you'll have to prove your US citizenship with either a US birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or a Certificate of Naturalization. In addition to proof of citizenship and proof of identity, you will also have to provide your full name and any previous names you've had (due to marriage, etc.) date of birth, your permanent address and valid mailing address (either US or foreign), and your Social Security number (if you have one).

The necessity of providing this information has recently been formalized by an amendment to the Code of Federal Regulations.

AARO comments: While not discussed in the regulations, it seems clear that, with this information and given the caveat on US passport applications that information can be shared with other government entities, the IRS can check to see whether tax returns are being filed. These rules do not provide that a passport will not be issued or will somehow be invalidated or blocked if forms/returns are not filed.

Last updated October 2014

Schengen Area Passport Validity Requirements

European Union regulations require that non-EU citizens entering the Schengen Area as visitors (tourist or business) hold a passport valid for at least 3 months after the intended date of departure from the EU State. Most EU countries require that the passport be valid for 6 months.

AARO comments: AARO members who who are not legal residents of a Schengen Area country should be aware of this rule. Owning or renting a home in Europe does not exempt you from the 6-month requirement, and you could be denied boarding when leaving the US for the EU.

Last updated October 2014

Recent Changes - Citizenship

New Parental Signature Requirements for U.S. Minors

On February 1, 2008, the U.S. Government increased its fees for certain U.S. citizen passport services. For adult applicants renewing a passport, the total fee increased to $75. For first-time applicants age 16 and over, the total fee increased to $100. The fee for minors under 16 years of age is $85.

Effective February 1, 2008, children under age 16 (formerly 14) at the time of application must appear in person, and both parents also need to be present and to provide unequivocal consent to passport issuance by signing the application in front of the consular officer. Any parent unable to attend the interview must submit a notarized letter of consent. The consent must be in the English language and can be notarized at any American consular representation free of charge. Letters of consent notarized by non-American notaries are also accepted. Alternatively, the parent applying for the passport must submit proof of sole custody.

For additional information please check the website at,

AARO Member Login

AARO members, please log in for access to dues payments,
newsletters, videos and other benefits.

Not an AARO member yet? Here's how to join!